Thursday, November 25, 2010

Where Art Thou, Passion?

7.15 ante meridian.
I was early in the ward today to complete a CNS examination for a patient I clerked yesterday. An 11 year-old boy was electively admitted yesterday for ritual circumcision. He's a known case of hydrocephalus on VP shunt, epilepsy on sodium valproate, asthma on budesonide and salbutamol, with developmental delay and syndromic features (syndactylyl, clinodactylyl, ectrodactylyl, anonychia, single palmar crease, brachycephaly, plagiocephaly, coarse and sparse hair, squint, orbital hypertelorism, flat nasal bridge, low set ears, absence maxillary prominence, overcrowding of teeth, high arched palate, wide internipple distance, flat foot arch and wide sandal gap) ----> My suspicion was Apert Syndrome since the surgical team had only assessed his fitness for surgery.

7.20 ante meridian.
A Chinese man in his late 40s walked towards my direction. In my native language, he was calling out in an exasperated tone, "Doctor, doctor!!". I shifted my gaze towards him and asked politely if there is anything I can help with. "My son is involved in an accident. He's thirsty. Can I give him some water?". There wasn't any 'Nil by mouth' board tagged to the bed. "Mmm... I'm not sure uncle. I'm just a medical student. You may have to consult the doctor.". He started raising his voice, "I was told to inquire another doctor when I asked that doctor there!". "I can't decide for you uncle, but I don't think you should give. I'm really sorry.", while I looked around for any available doctor in the ward. There was none. He looked anxious and distressed. After apologizing, I continue my work and ignored what was going on to his son.

9.30 ante meridian.
I was in a midst of discussion with my friends while waiting for the lecturer to come. We walked into the cubicle where the boy who was involved in the accident was in. I saw his mother sobbing in desperation by the bed. This time, I decided to ask. A tragic accident had happened where she lost one of her children and a niece, one was still in the ICU and this boy was badly injured as well. Both the parents were still at a denial stage of mourning for their children. It hit me that moment if I could have eased the father's grief by doing more when he approached. I will not slip past my defense that I behaved in an egocentric manner when someone needed my help and all I cared for was to finish up my case in time. If there was something I could do, I wished I had comforted, but was too helpless.

Had I known how to save a life somewhere along in the bitterness?

No comments:

Post a Comment