Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Note on Ophthalmology

Direct pupillary light reflex being tested

As much as I hate to comprehend, the four weeks of Ophthalmology posting is again coming to an end. Time trickles hastily, you can't deny. It dreaded me quite a bit to attend clinics at start since I wasn't much into this subject. The 'EYE' has always been a loyal imaginary friend to me when I learned it from the theory point of view. As time passed, I taught to apply the theoretical version into various clinical pictures where I was given many opportunities to see the signs and symptoms for real. Somehow, skills improved and knowledge broadened slightly. Before I could fully get a grasp on all the pathologies, this posting is already coming to an end. Left me hanging nowhere in the middle in a sense that I know a bit of something but not thoroughly. The eye does not see what the mind does not know. How true when I could not spot a bleb on the conjunctiva simply because my brain stores only a memory of the word, 'BLEB' without it's true meaning being installed.

All I'd gotten from this posting is that God is truly amazing. He created an eyeball at the diameter of 24 mm and weighing 7 grams for us to view the world. Such a simple looking structure from its outer coat turns out to be a whole load of complexity on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment