Saturday, October 17, 2009

Deepavali 09'

The 'Festival of Light' is here again! As for this year, I'd got an invitation from my ex-schoolmate, Shobita, to celebrate Deepavali together with her family. I called along Meicher and Chuanbee and we decided to dress in a saree and go. With me are two sets of sarees while Meicher has one. So it's cool enough for the three of us! Seriously, it wasn't easy draping a 6 metres cloth all around the body and the process became tougher when it came to making neat-pleats. I was literally struggling for almost half an hour to get the 3 of us done nicely. Yet the end results weren't at all satisfying! The saree and its pleats got all messed up the moment we walked out of my house, before we even arrived at the host's. We failed to walk gorgeously into the house when Shobi had already spotted our funny gaits from afar. *blush, embarrassed, blush blush!!*

This was one of the best Deepavali I spent. It was great to see Sereen and Ching Wee there as well. Shobi's mom offered to re-drape our messy saree and *gulp* she's just good at dealing with that long cloth! The way she patiently untangled the cloth and tied them back prim and proper amazed me. I just had to keep praising her. Alright, so that differentiates a Chinese and an Indian. A million thanks to Shobi and her family for the preparing a sumptuous spread of aperitive Indian cuisine. Had such a good time savoring the putu mayam, idli, beryani, curry mutton and chicken. Much to my surprise, Shobi's dad generously gave us angpau before we left. I mean, I didn't know they practise this culture too. I'm already looking forward to the next Diwali celebration.
Happy Deepavali, dear all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment