Thursday, April 9, 2009

LAN class

This is group F2, the group of people whom I will be sticking to till I graduate. They are very fun and helpful people to be with. Thank God for lovely people.

Had 2 long hours of moral studies(a component of the LAN subject) today. This is what I remembered roughly.

Mr H: Wendy!!
Me: (raises hand) Yes sir.
Mr H: When you are doing something, how do you differentiate you are doing it correct or wrong.
Me: Uhh... by my intuition?
Mr H: Yes?
Me: INTUITION!
Mr H: Mmm.. but something has to tell you what is right and what is wrong.
Me: Um.. unless I've been taught about what is right and what is wrong, I decide on a situation based on my instinct.
Mr H: Well, I think a decision which brings joy and happiness to everyone is right, while that which makes people sad and angry is wrong. Any opinion from you?(looking at the crowd for someone to raise something)
Me: Sir, I don't agree with you!
Mr H: Oh, will you explain why do you say so?
Me: From what I understand from your statement, a decision is right when it makes people happy while it is wrong when it makes people sad. Sir, but it is not always true. There are times when we make a correct decision yet it makes people sad or we make a wrong decision but people are happy with it.
Mr H: Um... I don't quite get you. Can you give an example.
Me: Alright. Say if a patient of mine has some terminal illness. If I tell her the truth, it is not going to make her happy but vice versa. Yet I'm doing the right thing.
Mr H: Well, if I'm the patient, I will not want to know about my disease.
Me: Sir, this is medical ethics. This is what a doctor should do by professionalism.

(debate went on with other students as well)

Johnathan: Sir, let's quote a simpler example. You said at times you will choose to bribe the police. You give the police RM50, he's very happy and you are also very happy. But that is a wrong act.
Mr H: (nods and smiles)Oh...

So how true does this statement hold? "A decision which brings joy and happiness to everyone is right, while that which makes people sad and angry is wrong"

I suppose it holds true if we're still lingering in our younger days, the times when we cannot decently execute a proper judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment